Why does Sigulda Municipality process your personal data?
In order to perform the functions of the Municipality and to provide or receive services, the Sigulda Municipality (and its institutions) needs to process (obtain, register, store, etc.) certain types of information, including data of natural persons, information about its clients, business partners, service providers, etc.
According to Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (hereinafter – GDPR), ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person. An identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, or any other information that is required in order for Sigulda Municipality to have a legal basis to provide the relevant municipal service.
The controller of the processing of personal data is the Sigulda Municipality represented by a specified municipal department or institution, which determines the purposes and means of the processing of personal data.
Sigulda Municipality address: 16 Pils iela, Sigulda, Siguldas novads, LV-2150, e-mail address: email@example.com.
Principles for processing personal data
When processing personal data, Sigulda Municipality shall comply with the following principles of personal data processing:
· personal data shall be processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner in relation to the data subject;
· collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and not further processed in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes;
· adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which they are processed;
· accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date; every reasonable step must be taken to ensure that personal data that are inaccurate, having regard to the purposes for which they are processed, are erased or rectified without delay;
· you will be informed why the Municipality needs your personal data and what the Municipality will do with your personal data;
· personal data shall be kept in a form which permits identification of data subjects for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data are processed;
· processed in a manner that ensures appropriate security of the personal data, including protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage, using appropriate technical or organisational measures.
Purposes for processing personal data
Processing of personal data is required in order for Sigulda Municipality to be able to perform the functions established by the Law “On Local Governments” and other regulatory enactments and voluntary initiatives in the interests of the residents, as well as to provide services. Some of the key purposes:
processing of data for registration/cancellation of declared place of residence, issuing of certificates;
- processing of data for the administration of real estate tax;
- processing of data for the processing of requests for construction;
- processing of data for the registration, updating and renewal of civil status records;
- processing of data for the administration of pre-school education queues;
- processing of data for the provision of social services, social or financial assistance;
- processing of data for the purpose of safeguarding the rights and interests of minors and persons with reduced legal capacity;
- processing of data for accounting purposes.
Categories of personal data
Sigulda Municipality processes personal data and special categories of personal data.
Personal data is information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person, such as your name, surname, personal identification number, date of birth, contact details (to ensure effective communication), which is necessary to provide in order to receive services provided by the Municipality, etc.
Special categories of personal data are information revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs or membership in trade unions, genetic data and biometric data, data concerning health or data about a natural person’s sex life or sexual orientation for the purpose of uniquely identifying a natural person.
The most commonly processed categories of personal data are:
· identification data – e.g., name, surname, personal identification number/date of birth;
· contact details – correspondence address, telephone number, email address;
· residential address (e.g., by declaration of residence, etc.);
· bank details (e.g., for claiming social benefits);
· details of disability, dependants (e.g., for applying for tax benefits, etc.);
· marital status data, details of citizenship, nationality, gender (e.g., for marriage, birth registration, etc.);
· details of income, including bank statements, information about family members, occupation, property owned, information on education, health (e.g., for assessing eligibility for social assistance);
· data which the person him/herself provides to the Municipality (e.g., in correspondence with the Municipality, expressing his/her opinion in public forums, etc.).
Legal basis for the processing of personal data
Processing of personal data is required in order for Sigulda Municipality to be able to carry out the functions and voluntary initiatives in the interests of the residents, as well as to provide services, as stipulated in the Law “On Local Governments” and other regulatory enactments. The functions of the Municipality are, for example, to take care of the education of the residents, to provide social assistance, etc. In certain cases, the Municipality stores your personal data in archives to keep evidence, for historical purposes or to use for research or statistics.
Processing personal data is required sometimes to protect individuals against harm, to ensure public order, to prevent or investigate offences, to comply with the legislation and to provide information in accordance with individuals’ rights.
The Municipality processes your personal data only when it has a legal basis to do so. The main legal grounds for processing personal data are:
- to comply with a legal obligation incumbent on the Municipality;
- to perform a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority lawfully granted to the controller.
Additional legal grounds may include:
- the processing is required for the execution of a contract or for the performance of measures at your request prior to the signing of a contract;
- you have given your consent to the processing of your personal data for one or more specific purposes;
- the processing is required to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another natural person, i.e., life and health.
If the Municipality will need your consent to process your personal data, the Municipality will ask you to provide it.
You may revoke your consent to provide data to the Municipality at any time by contacting the Sigulda Municipality or by contacting the relevant institution or department of the Municipality to which you have previously provided your consent. Withdrawal of consent may not affect the data processing activities previously carried out on the basis of the consent given.
A cookie is a small text file that our website saves on your computer or mobile device when you visit the site www.sigulda.lv. It enables the website to remember your actions and preferences (such as login, language, font size and other display preferences) over a period of time, so you don’t have to keep re-entering them whenever you come back to the site or browse from one page to another.
Cookies allow us to monitor your use of the software and simplify your use of the website and improve user experience. information on cookies can be found here.
Photography and filming at public events
Various public events are held in the Municipality of Sigulda, during which photography and filming are also carried out to inform the public about the activities, as well as to provide the public with a representation of the use of municipal budget funds, if the public event has been financed with municipal funds. Information about the already held and planned events can be found on the Municipality’s information feeds – the website www.sigulda.lv, social network accounts and the free informative publication “Siguldas Novada Ziņas”. Information on possible photography and filming during events is posted on the website www.sigulda.lv, on the event poster, or in the format of an announcement at the event venue. By being present in the event area, you confirm that you are informed and have no objection to being included in the audio/visual material of the event.
For your information: the Sigulda Municipality carries out the photography and filming at a high professional and artistic level, so that the photos and videos are aesthetically pleasing and do not violate the privacy rights of the event visitors. However, if you do not wish to be photographed or filmed during an event, please inform the persons authorised by the Municipality to take photographs or film.
To ensure and promote the general security in Sigulda Municipality by reducing the risks to public order and security, preventing and detecting criminal offences related to the protection of property and the protection of vital interests of persons, including life and health, video surveillance is carried out in the territory of Sigulda Municipality.
Information signs are displayed in front of the areas or at the entrances of the municipal buildings where video surveillance is carried out. Information on the areas and premises where the Municipality carries out video surveillance is also posted on the Municipality’s website www.sigulda.lv.
For more information on the Municipality’s video surveillance, click here.
Data that you submit to the Municipality may be transferred to the Municipality’s departments and institutions to the extent that it is appropriate, proportionate and reasonable as required for Sigulda Municipality to perform its functions and provide services.
For example, Sigulda Municipality may transfer your personal data to:
- Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs
- State Revenue Service;
- Land Register;
- Social service providers;
- State Land Service.
While providing services, the Municipality will inform you about the recipients of your personal data or the organisations that will be involved in the process of providing the service on behalf of the Municipality or in the exchange of information with the Municipality.
The Municipality will only transfer your personal data to organisations, suppliers or service providers that have sufficient guarantees regarding the implementation of appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure that the processing complies with the requirements of data protection legislation and ensures the protection of your rights and the ability to comply with the obligations set out in data protection legislation. These guarantees and terms are set out in the agreements with organisations and third parties.
Transfer of personal data to third countries that are not members of the European Union or the European Economic Area
Your data may be transferred outside the European Union and the European Economic Area only if the Municipality has a legitimate basis for such transfer and after careful consideration of that basis. The Municipality will only transfer information if the receiving party is able to ensure an adequate level of protection of your data and compliance with data processing requirements. Prior to this, the Municipality will take all necessary steps to inform you of the requirement for such a transfer.
Storage limitation for processing personal data
Sigulda Municipality shall store personal data in accordance with the case file nomenclature no longer than it is required to achieve the purpose of processing of personal data. After the respective purpose of data processing has been achieved, the personal data will be deleted.
Sigulda Municipality will store your data only for as long as it is necessary for the performance of its functions, for example, for as long as you use municipal services or until you withdraw your consent if the personal data were processed on this ground. In certain cases, the storage period is determined by law. The period for which personal data is stored is determined by the purpose of the processing for which the data was collected.
Rights of the data subject
You have the right to:
- obtain information about the data that has been collected about you in the framework of the delivery of municipal services and the exercise of the functions determined by laws and regulations;
- obtain information about the natural or legal persons to whom personal data about you has been transferred. The information to be provided to a data subject may not include a reference to public institutions which are persons directing criminal proceedings or bodies performing operational activities, and other institutions regarding which disclosure of such information is prohibited by law;
- request correction, erasure or restriction of processing of data; the right to object to processing of data; and the right to data portability;
- withdraw consent easily and at any time if a legal ground is conditional on consent to the data processing, without prejudice to the legitimacy of data processing carried out before the data subject’s withdrawal of consent.
Security of processing personal data
Sigulda Municipality shall implement and continuously improve security measures to ensure the integrity, accessibility and confidentiality of personal data – to protect your data from unauthorised access, accidental loss, data fraud, disclosure or destruction.
As the data controller, the Municipality has implemented appropriate technical and organisational measures that are in line with data protection requirements, such as the use of antivirus software, the use of only certified software, the tracking and installation of software updates, the training and proficiency testing of all employees involved in the processing of personal data.
The Municipality will only transfer your personal data to organisations, suppliers or service providers (e.g., by transferring the data to server hosts) that provide sufficient guarantees concerning the implementation of appropriate technical and organisational measures: the processing will comply with the requirements of data protection legislation and ensure the protection of your rights and the compliance with the obligations defined in data protection legislation. These guarantees and conditions are set out in contracts with organisations and third parties.
The employees of the Municipality who process personal data shall ensure that the confidentiality of such information is respected. The employee’s confidentiality obligation in respect of personal data shall remain in force for an indefinite period, including after termination of their terms of employment.
Questions and complaints about the processing of personal data
In case of filing a question or complaint regarding the processing of personal data by the Sigulda Municipality, please contact the Sigulda Municipality, requesting that the case be examined and file it in writing to the Sigulda Municipality, Pils iela 16, Sigulda, Sigulda Municipality, LV-2150, or send it to the Data and Information Security Manager Aldis Vecvanags (Personal Data Protection Specialist) at the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are not satisfied with the response of Sigulda Municipality or believe that Sigulda Municipality processes personal data contrary to the legal requirements, you may submit a complaint to the supervisory authority, the Data State Inspectorate. Further information can be found at www.dvi.gov.lv (in Latvian)
The Municipality can change this Policy to include our latest personal data protection changes on the website www.sigulda.lv.
Additional information on the processing of personal data by Sigulda Municipality can be found here.