Sigulda's first railway station was built in 1889 and replaced by three more stations over time. On 1st September 2012, the reconstructed Sigulda railway station, station square, and Laima clock were opened. The first station in Sigulda, then the station Zēgevolde, was built along with the opening of the railway line Riga - Valka in 1889. In 1919, when the Latvian Railway was established, the station was renamed Sigulda. Over the course of time, four-station buildings have replaced each other in Sigulda. The first and third buildings were destroyed in the World Wars.
The second building was torn down to build the third. The third station was opened in December 1925. The station designed by architect Pēteris Feders was built in the style of national romanticism from Allaži travertine and boulders and was considered the most beautiful station building in Latvia. The beautiful building was destroyed during the Second World War in 1944. The present fourth station, along with auxiliary facilities and a water tower, was built in 1951. Then, alongside the station, a water tower was built, which for a long time had an extremely important function – it stored a water reserve for steam locomotives until diesel locomotives replaced them.
After that, the activities gradually stopped in the tower, and for more than thirty years the tower was not used. In 2009, the modern art and cultural space “Sigulda Tower” was established in the tower to find a place for various exhibitions, especially attracting Sigulda county artists. Currently, it is closed.
In 2010, the Latvian legendary chocolate factory “Laima”, celebrating its 140th anniversary, in cooperation with the inhabitants of Latvia, was looking for the city that would best match the title of City of Love. In TV live broadcasting, the residents of Latvia chose Sigulda with their vote.
So Sigulda won the title of the City of Love and also a unique opportunity to create a meeting place, wherein the centre there is a clock presented by the company “Laima”. In 2011, reconstruction of the railway station building and improvement of the station square was started. On 1st September 2012, the reconstructed Sigulda railway station, the station square and the Laima clock were opened with a festive event. Along with the reconstruction of the station, it has become the main public transport headquarters in Sigulda, combining both the railway station and the bus station with wide waiting areas, as well as several new functions – the Tourism Information Centre, Sigulda Municipality Police, and the commercial kiosk. Considerable projecting work has been done in the projecting of Sigulda “Laima” clock.
The author of the clock is Latvian designer Arvis Sproģis. Engineers have considered every detail until the last screw, virtually with a special design program, checking every detail of the clock. “Laima” clock for Sigulda is made of stainless steel using the latest technologies. It has a reversed pyramid shape, making the upper part wider and lower three times narrower. The clock planes are facing all four cardinal directions. Taking into consideration the specific design. The clock has a well-founded construction – about 2m3big foundation, which is embedded in concrete about 2m deep.
The clock has internal LED diode lightning. Each clock dial has a Swiss watch mechanism operated by a single control unit, which is located outside the clock so that the clock can be adjusted freely from a distance. Likewise, power supply and automation are not in the clock itself, but outside, for more convenient maintenance. Along with the installation of the “Laima” clock, its surroundings are also put in order – the clock is in a lowered circle with relaxation benches, and in the square, there are elevated green terraces and a modern fountain. The area is illuminated by energy-saving luminaries. In the middle of the square, there is a special base built for the Christmas tree.