Roads connecting Sigulda, Krimulda, and Turaida have formed over the course of many centuries. One of these, Serpentine Road from Krimulda to Sigulda, is rich with history.
This road partially lies within the former moat of Krimulda Medieval castle and follows down the slope to Sigulda.
The idea for this road can be seen in the Krimulda castle and manor drawings from the 17th century. To provide safe travel for horse-drawn carriages up and down the Gauja valley, the road was made winding to reduce the grade. The word serpentine comes from the Latin word – serpent and means snake. It is commonly believed that the majority of improvements made to this road occurred just prior to the 1862 visit to Sigulda by Alexander II, Tzar of Russia, and his spouse. The tourist pathways were also improved at this time. Above the road were rope bridges which the locals referred to as devil’s bridges.
With the development of the automobile and paved roads, the Serpentine road was no longer illuminated during the second part of the 20th century. In 2006 a historic reconstruction of the road was conducted, the road was cobbled and light posts and benches installed. The Serpentine road has now become a place for a romantic walk. It is also bicycle accessible.