The parish of Sigulda was established back in 1225. Historical records show that the first church was built near Sigulda castle a year later. There are no records about its appearance, but we can presume it was a wooden structure. A masonry church was later built in its place and is mentioned in the 1483 chronicles as the church of St. Bartholomew.
At the church, you are also welcome to climb the tower and take a look at the area from above! A communion service is held every Sunday at 11.00 and every second Thursday at 19.00.
Church first mentioned in writings in the 15th century as St. Bartholomew’s Church. Its tower was designed by Konstantīns Pēkšēns, the author of the altarpiece is Jānis Roberts Tilbergs.
Both families of the Sigulda manor owners, Count von der Borh and Knyaz/duke Kropotkin, were benefactors of the church. Olga Krapotkina, following the example of her father who is 1854 covered the expenses of repairing the floors and church organ, supported the church and parish during her lifetime. Even though she later converted to the Russian Orthodox faith, she continued to help the church. The altar painting by local artist Cirulis was also one of her gifts. Unfortunately, the painting is no longer there. There are also ornate ceiling lamps in the church dating back to the second part of the 19th century, possibly another gift of Olga Kropotkina. A marble relief made by the then German-Baltic sculptor, August Folts, was been placed in the altar room after the demise of the patroness. A relief of the Countess Eleonora von der Borgh, the grandmother of the Olga Krapotkina, was also there. Both commemoration tablets are now at the Turaida Museum-Reserve.
In 1930, the new iron-concrete tower, designed after architect Konstantins Pēkšēns drawing, was completed, and the new altar adorned with the painting “Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane” by Janis Roberts Tilbergs. During the Soviet era from 1965 to 1990, the Sigulda church was the only house of the Lord and was used by a number of members from different religions.